If you haven’t tried Asian pears before, now is the time! It’s crispy texture and honey sweet flavor makes it a really good fall salad. Asian pears are super high in fiber, low in calories and contains a number of micronutrients that help support blood, bone and cardiovascular health. There are different varieties of asian pears, the ones I used in this recipe are called Niitaka. It’s one of the biggest Asian pear varieties, it’s sweet and juicy. When the sweet juice of the pear combines with the tanginess of kefir, it creates a perfect harmonic heavenly taste.
Did I mention I got myself a new toy for this recipe? It’s new to me but of course it’s not new in the fast-changing culinary world. It is a veggie spiralizer! It really isn’t made for round fruits like pears and apples but it worked out well. I was able to make these elegant pear shreds in less than 5 minutes! Other than using it to make the famous zoodles (i.e. zucchini noodles), I am working on a few recipes to explore different creative ways to use it. Stay tuned!
Below are some other kefir recipes you may also like:
- 2 Niitaka Asian Pears (I kept the skin and spiralized them after rinse)
- 1 honeycrisp apples, (rinsed and spiralized with skin)
- ¼ small red onion (thinly shredded)
- honey to taste
- 3 tablespoon lowfat milk kefir
- 2 teaspoons Cilantro
- Crushed almonds as garnish
- ) Rinse apples and asian pears and cut both ends. Attach them onto spiralizer as instructed on the manual
- ) Toss to combine all ingredients and sprinkle the salad with almonds at the end. Serve!