Ever since I was a little girl, I absolutely LOVED peanut butter! Ranging from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to peanut butter cereal, what’s not to love. One day I was walking around my local organic grocery store and found this nice bag of “black (forbidden) rice” or ramen and that’s when it hit me, cold ramen with peanut sauce dressing. I’ve had “cold” noodles before during my trip in Seoul, Korea and that served as a a base to my approach to this simple yet delicious dish! It’s made from simple enough ingredients that anyone can find in their own fridge with the exception of the “black rice” ramen. I’m sure this will be a great addition for all you peanut lovers!
So what exactly is black (forbidden) rice you may ask? Black rice is high in nutritional value and is a source of iron, vitamin E, and antioxidants (more than in blueberries!!). While black rice may not be as popular as white or brown rice, but it sure will add more vibrant colors to your meals, as well as providing additional health benefits. There are many stories behind why it’s called forbidden rice, one of these stories originates from ancient China where only emperors from the “Forbidden Palace” were allowed to eat it due to its rarity and nutritional value.
Forbidden Cold Ramen with Peanut Sauce and Soy Chicken
|2 Black Rice Ramen cakes
2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Water
1 Persian Cucumber
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded soy chicken
(use regular chicken if you’d like)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
pinch of salt and black sesame
|1. Marinate soy chicken with 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Set aside.
2. Bring 3 cups of water to boil. Add the noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Stir the noodles occasionally as they break down
3. Cook for another minute or two. Remove it from heat. Drain the pot and rinse the noodles in cold running water. Set aside.
4. Whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, water, sugar, sesame oil in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
5. Use a peeler to slice the cucumber into thin slices. Like this. Then cut the slices into long and thin pieces.
6. Add chilled ramen into a medium bowl, top it with shredded soy chicken and cucumber. Pour peanut sauce on top. Garnish it with black sesame and serve!