We took a trip to Boston and tried the best tasting but also the greasiest lobster roll. Ever since then, I’ve been experimenting ways to make lobster rolls creamy and tasty with half the calories. Instead of using butter and mayonnaise, I strained a bottle of kefir the night before (a probiotic dairy drink similar to yogurt but even healthier) to make this creamy lobster salad roll. And I also added mango and a little bit of honey to balance the tanginess of kefir. The result turned out great!!! So awesome that my picky hubby wants me to strain kefir to completely replace mayonnaise for his tuna sandwich from now on.
Did I mention it’s super easy to make? It only took me 15 minutes! It took 10 minutes to cook the lobsters, 5 minutes to chop and mix everything together. Ok..I lied. It took sometime for the lobsters to cool down and it took a night to strain a bottle of kefir but still it didn’t require much effort at all. I bought 2 lobster tails, it was more than enough to make 2-3 rolls. In terms of the buns, many people use top-split hot dog buns, but it was not easy to find in my neighborhood, so I used this Hawaiian sweet bun. It was as yummy as the traditional one.
- 8-9 oz lobster meats (about 2 lobster tails with shell)
- ½ cup frozen mango chunks (thawed and diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives
- Pinch of sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons strained whole milk plain kefir
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- lemon zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 2-3 Hawaiian sweet buns
- ) Place lobsters in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until cooked. The golden rule is 10 minutes for every pound of lobsters. Remove them from pot and let them cool at room temperature. Crack open the shell and remove the meat. Cut the meat into ½ inch cubes.
- ) While you are waiting for the lobsters to cool, whisk lemon juice, lemon zest, pinch of salt and honey in strained kefir
- ) Add diced mangos and terragon in the kefir mixture, mix well. Add pepper if needed.
- ) Combine lobster meat with kefir cream. Cover the salad with plastic wrap and chill it for 30 minutes to maximize result.
- ) Roast bun in toaster until golden brown.
- ) Stuff the toasted buns with the chilled lobster salad, garnish it with chives. Stack ’em high and serve.