Attention mushroom lovers!! Time to up your game with this delicious wild mushroom tartare. Most of the tartares in the markets are made with beef or salmon. As a hard-core fan of mushrooms, I can’t help but wonder why don’t they have a fungus version that’s vegan friendly?
That’s why I developed this easy-to-make, gluten-free tartare spread that’s great for any occasion! I chose oyster, shiitake, and crimini mushrooms for this recipe, but you can use white mushrooms or meaty portabella if they are not available at your local store. Below are the ingredients I used.
Oyster and shiitake mushrooms have always been a staple in Asian cuisine. It’s often added to stir fry or soup. I always love the delicate and woody taste of them. This wild mushroom tartare is an edible nirvana waiting to delight your taste buds. Enjoy!
Wild Mushroom Tartare
|2 cup mixed mushroom (oyster, shiitake, crimini in this recipe)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 red onion (minced)
1/2 small avocado
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vegan mustard (find brand below)
pinch of Salt
1/2 bag of spinach
chive and crushed cashew nuts as garnish
White Truffle Flatbread Cracker
|1. Wash and dry the mushrooms and spinach. Mince the onion and set aside. Mash avocado into paste
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil until hot. Sauté the mushrooms until soft and season with salt. Remove from pan and set aside to cool down
3. Wipe down the pan with a paper towel. Sauté the spinach and season with salt. Remove from pan and let it cool down.
4. Once the mushrooms cool down, dice them into fine pieces.
5. Chop spinach separately once it cools down.
6. In a medium bowl, mix together the minced red onions, avocado mash, lemon juice, vegan mustard, and sautéed mushrooms.
7. Press 1.5 tablespoons of chopped spinach in the bottom of a 3″ pastry ring. Spoon the mushroom mixture on top of spinach until it fills up the ring. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
8. Place the tartare on a clean plate and remove it from the pastry ring. Garnish with chives and cashew for the final finishing touch!
Resource List: (click on the images below to find the ingredients and equipment you need)